Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Oscars and Dengue Fever

Dengue Fever Four weeks from today I will be flying to New Zealand for a few days of fun before a school-sanctioned group trip to three cities in Australia. In advance of our departure, today we had a health meeting, which is more relevant to those traveling to other countries (like Bangladesh) than for us. My only takeaway was to wear bug repellent with at least 30% DEET in Cairns because mosquitoes carry Dengue Fever, a potentially deadly and generally awful-sounding thing. Beyond that we were just told to be careful of pickpocketers, not trip and fall into the sea while we're drunk, and avoid unprotected sex with prostitutes. All sound advice, even if I were staying in New Haven.

Meanwhile, this morning was noteworthy to entertainment and film buffs because Oscar nominations were announced. Normally -- meaning when I'm not in school -- I care very much about the Oscars. In my journalism career I devoted undue time to Oscar podcasts, articles and contests, all in feverish anticipation of the biggest night in Hollywood. This year, not so much. First of all, I have not had time to see most of the movies because 2009 was so busy. Of the 10 (yes 10) best picture nominees, I've seen four (Up, Up In The Air, Precious, and The Hurt Locker). I normally try to see all the best picture contenders, although I doubt I'll get to the other six.

Another reason I'm not as interested this year is because there are indeed 10 nominations. I dunno -- it just sort of lessens my interest in the whole thing, for whatever reason.

And, finally, I will probably not even get to see this year's ceremony (March 7), because I'll be in Australia. I can't remember the last time I missed it, although there have been occasions when my attention was split between watching it and working (editing, designing pages, writing, whatever I was doing that year).

1 comment:

  1. Puerto Ricans have mad fear of Dengue! Be careful out there, mate! I agree, the 10 nominees really does put a real damper on things, I can't disagree more with that decision. Shows the tasteless unoriginal times we are living in! Seriously, I can't even think of 10 movies I've seen this year that are worthy of that kind of nomination.

    ReplyDelete