Friday, September 24, 2010

I found God today


I didn't really find God today, but I did visit Yale's divinity school for the first time. It's called the Yale Divinity School. I was there to meet with a professor for a class. I actually do need to be that vague at this point, I'm afraid.

Naturally I've spent most of my time at Yale at the School of Management, whose facilities aren't great, especially for our purposes. There isn't very much meeting or common space, the equipment is pretty old, professors still use chalkboards and overhead projectors. I don't usually mind, although when I do have an occasion to visit a different grad school, I'm always jealous. The law school, the forestry school and the divinity school all make SOM look a bit embarrassing. But that won't be the case for too many more years, because SOM is building a new campus.

The divinity school was so nice -- not just because of the well-manicured, peaceful quad, which reminded me a bit of UNC, but also the indoor facilities. I took a stroll around. They have a beautiful common room, a cafeteria, and of course a chapel. Like I said, I was jealous, although I realize that's a deadly sin. (Somehow I'm still alive! I'll be.)

This week, I had my first small-group session with my Theory of Media professor, whom I looove. (Yes, my professor has his own Wikipedia page. As far as I'm concerned, that's the big leagues.) This is my one non-SOM class, and I find it endlessly interesting. Even more than Corporate Finance!

We had great attendance at our first Human Capital Club event, an industry primer that explains the function and the career opportunities available to MBAs in that function. (My friend Erika and I are starting a Human Capital Club this year.) Looks like several first-year students are intrigued, which is promising for the continued livelihood of our club.

One thing I'm finding this year is that I'm in a stage between being a wise sage and a naive student. To the former, prospective students contact me regularly to learn more about the school, and as a second-year in general (especially as a club leader) I am always being sought for priceless advice ... or perhaps I misconstrue these interactions and am dispensing advice nobody wants. On the flipside, I'm a student asking alumni and prospective employers for their time and advice. So I keep flip-flopping between being on each side of this dynamic.

This sentiment is expressed poignantly in this piece of music:

No comments:

Post a Comment