Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm going to be a tour guide

Last week I "auditioned" to be a campus tour guide for groups of prospective SOM students. I put that in quotes because the audition didn't entail giving a tour or anything; instead, we each introduced ourselves and shared two fun facts, then, if we were serious about doing this, submitted a few essays. I found out today that I was chosen to be one of, I think, 16-18 or so tour guides. I'm really looking forward to doing this; I think it'll be great fun. And I remember when I visited, much of the impression I took away about SOM came from my tour guide (who also has lunch with the group afterward).

Those who know me well enough to know I have the worst sense of direction ever might wonder why I would want to do this, considering I will inevitably cause the disappearance of several small groups of innocent, motivated people. One reason is that I thought it would be a good way to learn my way around. Soon, I hope to be so familiar with SOM that I can dazzle family and friends with a bounty of fascinating facts. Another reason is that since I'm leaning toward not doing Toastmasters for the time being, I wanted some regular way to keep up with my public speaking.

The training is Thursday, and then there's no time to waste -- tours start next week. Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really excited for you, I've always wanted to be a tour guide ;p I'm impressed you know the campus so well already! Talk about doing your homework! I'm sure you'll be great.

    BTW, no one has a worse sense of direction than me, but somehow I manage :)

    ReplyDelete