Saturday, May 1, 2010

Streets of Philadelphia

Capogiro is a gelato establishment in Philadelphia.When I was bound for Philadelphia I was urged to, above all else, have gelato at Capogiro. It *was* delicious, people. I had three flavors: hazelnut, rum and burnt sugar. Three kinds of perfect. Just amazing ... rich and super creamy, but still light and sweet and not too heavy. It was fantastic.

So before I came to Philadelphia, I didn't expect to care about it one way or another -- I was just there for a summit. But I really liked it! From what I saw, anyway. I spent this first day in this room ...

CCBO ... And, in that room, I did get some good ideas for CABO, and I met some nice people, including a guy who looked so eerily like Brad Pitt that when I started to ask, "Does anyone ever tell you that you look like ..." he correctly completed my sentence. Anyway, most of what I saw of Philadelphia was the night life. But when I visit a new city I do like to try to get an impression of what everyday life would be like: Is stuff expensive, what do the buildings look like, what's the food like, what do the people look and act like, etc. And on those fronts I have nothing but nice things to say ... plus there's clearly an awesomely vibrant gay scene.

A street of Philadelphia

I partied pretty hard two nights in a row. The first evening began at a welcome reception that included not only all the gays there for the summit, but some other gays employed by corporate partners, just there to mingle. I latched onto a couple people my age, and after the reception we hit the town, starting at Stir and ending up in a couple other places I didn't catch the name of because I was just stumbling around with people who knew the city.

In retrospect, I drank too much. I can recall being alone on the street, on the way home, offering money to a woman in exchange for a cigarette. I soon learned she was from New Zealand and proceeded to show her all my amazing New Zealand photos still in my phone. Soon, she had run away. I probably scared her to death. Anyway, it was great! Really loved it.

Elizabeth

The second late night was with my friend Elizabeth, who was an intern at the paper at which I worked in Corpus Christi, way back in 2002, and then it turned out we both lived in the DFW area for the three years I was there. Now she's moved to Philadelphia. After I had a truly delicious three-course dinner at Vallani with the CCBO folks, I met up with Elizabeth at a Fox & Hound, where we had a few beers. I got lost coming home, but nobody mugged or stab me. I'm not as confident I could say the same in New Haven.

Now that I've had a very good first impression, I look forward to going back. I will hereby be spending almost every waking moment from now until class Monday morning doing work .... it's a pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment