Thursday, August 6, 2009

My band



Going back to school necessarily means chasing one's dreams like a fat kid chases an ice cream truck dragging Twinkies behind it. My dream is to do what I should have done in undergrad but didn't have time because I was busy watching The Real World: New Orleans -- to start a band.

Tomorrow, when my stuff arrives, so too will my piano. I took lessons for 14 years and have written hundreds of songs. They are so brilliant that simpletons don't like them. To gain mass appeal, I must find a way to sand down the genius and up the mass appeal, and I think I can do it with the help of some hip bandmates. Fortunately, I'm well on my way.

Two nights ago, I met a flute player from Peru. Last night, I met a harpist (a serious oI need people in my life who know the dance.ne ... she brought her harp and everything) from Cleveland by way of my hometown, St. Louis. And I also met a former trumpet player; I'm not sure that instrument fits in the mix, but it's too early to say. Now we just need a percussionist, a singer, a few backup dancers who like to show skin, and maybe one more instrumentalist who can round out the sound. I'm thinking theremin (see video above). My goal is to establish our band as a staple in the New Haven ska-influenced adult-contemporary live music scene, which we will start, so I can make enough money to pay off my $7.3 million in loans I will face in two years.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like your roommates might be able to help you out there. I hear one was a drummer in high school, and the other likes to dance while showing skin.

    ReplyDelete