Monday, August 31, 2009

Just a little play

Blue Cohort, Team Two, Class of 2011, Yale SOMI've mentioned previously that the Class of 2011 is divided into four cohorts, of which mine is Blue, and that those cohorts are further divided into seven or so study teams, of which mine is Team 2. There are eight people on my team. We're supposed to help one another with assignments and projects, and have already met a couple times to do that.

About a week ago, we decided to have dinner on Sunday (yesterday). Jeremy (sitting in the middle on the right side) and his wife, Tracy (to his right), agreed to host. (Only one member of our team couldn't attend.)

I'd spent Saturday at my brother's place, babysitting, because it was my sister-in-law's birthday. That was a fun trip -- Mike came along, and we did get a little accounting work done. The kids were somewhat well-behaved, although I'd actually never babysat in my life, so it was a challenge to do the whole bedtime routine. But Mike was a great help, and overall it was a fun time.

Naturally, though, hanging out Saturday meant needing to buckle down on Sunday, so as the time was approaching for this Team 2 dinner, I began to wonder whether I should bail, since I had so much work left to do.

But I didn't, and I'm so glad I didn't, because this was a much-needed opportunity to socialize in a relaxed setting Team 2and have a good meal on top of it. (My typical dinner since arriving in New Haven has been Triscuits with Laughing Cow cheese, an apple and some celery with hummus. I've lost 10 pounds on the Too Busy To Cook Anything Diet.)

What I learned, or what I think I learned, is that my assignments will get done, perfect or not perfect, and although I want to do my best in my classes, it's not worth shutting out real life to meet that end. Finding that balance, as I've mentioned, will be, I think, the biggest challenge for me here.

Anyway, back to work ...

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how excited a kid must get knowing John is going to be babysitting them! Kudos to you, I am a horrible babysitter! The last time I babysat a kid the police showed up at the house since he kept dialing 911 and hanging up (hey, at least he was applying something he learned in class), so I think that was a good indication it was time to retire ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you used your KinderCare expertise ;)

    Losing weight is also part of being a graduate student. I only ate a banana each day for several months, because I didn't think there was time for anything else. And I love food.

    ReplyDelete