Sunday, June 27, 2010

The pride parade

Gay Pride 2010, New York CitySo. I'll just be honest -- parades aren't really my thing. Standing in the heat, watching stuff slowly go by on the street, longing for a place to sit or a cold drink or a toilet ... I dunno, it's just not my idea of a good time. But nevertheless I did go to the Gay Pride Parade because, well, it was Pride Weekend, and I live in New York, and I'm gay, and so there isn't much room to wiggle out of this one.

My friend Mike came in from New Haven, and we joined up with one of my friends from high school and his friends, and his friends' friends, and it was good to meet all of them. I preferred the pre-parade mingling to the parade itself. We trekked what felt like 30 miles along this crowded route, both crowd-watching and parade-watching, and, well, I just wasn't all that impressed. I thought the parade itself was sort of meh, even for a parade. Then again, I have nothing to compare it to.

School has spoiled me a bit because I always had three-day weekends -- fourth quarter I actually had four-day weekends. Now that I'm back to ordinary two-day weekends, it's all the more important to make the most of them. I feel I did that this weekend. Soon it's back to the grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment