Thursday, June 17, 2010

La Cage Aux Folles et al

Chris in Times Square My friend Chris, in town from Fort Worth, and I had a fun Manhattan evening. Perhaps the highlight was embarrassing him by taking his picture in Times Square -- how utterly touristy!

We had a delicious and reasonably priced dinner at Brasserie Athenee, a Greek restaurant with a three-course prix fixe theater menu. I had arugula salad, skirt steak and almond cake. Then we saw La Cage Aux Folles, starring Kelsey Grammer and Douglas Hodge, who won a Tony for playing Albin. I quite preferred it to the movie, actually -- it was more moving and had some very nice songs and dance numbers. I always say I'm not a big fan of musicals, but I usually end up liking high-production musicals a lot (like Urinetown, which I saw on Broadway a few years ago).

I signed up for my fall classes yesterday. I'm going quant-heavy because I want to make sure I take full advantage of this opportunity to learn skills. For now I'm signed up for Competitive Strategy, Data-Driven Marketing, Corporate Finance, Policy Modeling, and Venture Capital. All are full-semester courses except Venture Capital, which is just a first-quarter class. I wanted to take a class called Pricing Strategy, which is very in line with what I'm doing this summer, but SOM also releases professor and course evaluation ratings, and this course was by far the lowest-rated for both the professor and course. So I can't in good conscience sign up, even though the subject matter interests me. We touched on pricing strategy in my Managing Marketing Programs class anyway. And, I suppose, my internship could be considered a 12-week crash course in pricing strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment