Monday, October 19, 2009

I'm back like Baby Got



I'm well-rested and have been properly fed and watered, and now it's time to return to classes. This week, SOM puts the "Management" back in "School of Management" with a weeklong class called "Managing Groups and Teams." There are eight three-hour sessions spread over the next five days, and I've heard it compared to summer camp. We'll be rotating through different topics, with a variety of lecturers, activities and readings.

Learning how to lead may sound, to some, a little soft and touchy-feely, but I think it's crucial. At both the newspapers at which I worked, training in general was lacking (which happens when money is also lacking), and it seemed to me that some managers hadn't received much training in the leadership aspect of their jobs; that's not a knock against any particular people, just an observation about the priorities of newsrooms. But managing is a skill that takes knowledge and practice; effective leaders understand team dynamics, methods of motivating, how to define a clear vision, how to set boundaries, and so forth. So I'm looking forward to starting to learn these skillz, which in due time I can only assume will pay the billz. Holler?

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more, the more experience you get as a leader the better. I've honestly worked with very few managers that I felt did their job well and it created a slew of problems for the business and the people working there. I don't know if it will be as much of a hoot as our camp experience, but it'll probably get you far more prepared than eating ice cream on a hill and thinking we ruled the world! >:P

    ReplyDelete