Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I saw David Sedaris

I did! He read some stories and essays last night at the Shubert Theater. I'm a fan, though not die-hard. I've read two of his collections: Holidays on Ice and When You Are Engulfed In Flames, and back when I was a New Yorker subscriber (when I had time for such trivialities), I was excited to see his name in the table of contents. The "show" wasn't "thrilling," but I laughed a few times. I preferred it when he was just telling stories and answering questions to when he was reading.

I went to David with my friend (I guess we've been here long enough to use that word) Erika. Beforehand, she and Mike and I went to Pacifico for tapas, which I am starting to suspect restaurants are cleverly jumping on so they can make wider profit margins, since they truly are, in fact, ridiculously overpriced appetizers. I mean, let's call a spade a spade. That's fine for people with money, but I'm a struggling student for Pete's sake. Delicious, though. Well some of it was delicious. My soup tasted like flavorless chunks floating in packaged gravy.

Today marks the first time I will attend a "corporate presentation," the first of three I want to go to this week. Today is Mars Inc., the company that makes M&M's and other candies, as well as Pedigree pet food and Uncle Ben's rice. A corporate presentation, as far as I can tell, is an event to which you wear a suit and learn about a company. I will provide details later. The other presentations to which I have RSVP's this week are Thomson Reuters and Unilever.

I am so excited to report that the number of graded assignments remaining in the core, excluding three massive nightmarish finals, are three -- one more statistics problem set, one more piece of accounting homework, and a 6-page paper for Careers. It's very exciting to be wrapping these classes up, and despite the pain of stress, I've learned a lot in a short amount of time. I better have -- this quarter cost $10,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment