Saturday, October 23, 2010

I had a vision of love, and ...


Today I cased and cased and cased, fighting a cold. Then, to unwind, I did what any 31-year-old man would do on a Saturday night: made a cheese sandwich and enjoyed some Mariah Carey live performances over an ice-cold diet root beer. I'm secure enough in my popularity to own such evenings. Yes, there's a party tonight ... a big bash, where there will be lots of boys and where the booze will flow. But I'm under the weather and need to be alert tomorrow as I prep for my interviews Monday. So, in I'm staying. Really.

Anyway, this brings me to a crucial point, which is regarding the song "Vision of Love" by Mariah Carey, among my 10 favorite Mariah Carey songs. I love it because it's classic, soulful, has a mesmerizing vocal performance and ends with what I always perceived as a haunting final line. To bring folks up to speed, the song is about how after hoping and praying that love would materialize from the protagonist's vision, it did, and thus the protagonist is "eternally grateful." So it's a happy and uplifting song about wishes coming true.

The song continues in this vein and builds to a swelling climax until, in the last line, the music suddenly gets minor, and she sings, "I had a vision of love, and it was all that you turned out to be." Even when I was 11, this gave me goosebumps. I took that to mean that she had been delusional or kidding herself throughout the entire song and that her dreams actually hadn't come true -- that she mistook a "vision of love" for a real love and was left disappointed.

I can't find anything online to corroborate my theory, though. It could be I'm reading just a bit too deeply into lyrics written by a teenager. I hope this comes up in my interviews Monday. I think there's a pretty good chance. Still, though, maybe I should return to brushing up on articles about the latest trends in the HR industry ...

No comments:

Post a Comment