Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My cupcake runneth over

Magnolia Magnolia Bakery is the kind of place I associate with (a) quality cupcakes and (b) people deriding the cupcakes as overrated. But this evening, after enjoying sushi at Amber, an Asian restaurant steps from my apartment, my pal/ex-subletter Maggie and I headed over to see what all the hubbub was about. I had a banana cupcake with chocolate icing and was, frankly, wildly impressed. I had braced myself for crap, but it was great.

Interns Before dinner I went out with colleagues to celebrate an intern's 21st birthday. He's in corporate communications for the summer. I remember my 21st birthday. Those were simpler times, the '90s. I had concluded my fall semester, junior year, and recall having a party at my apartment. It was a great time. I fear the intern may not have had as great of a time, having a happy hour drink at an Irish pub, but he seemed pleased enough.

Our intern class, being the 10 Business Associates, comprised four people around 21-23, a 26-year-old, a 28-year-old, three of us 30-32 and someone of totally indeterminant age. The elder half of the group were getting MBAs, and the younger half were recent undergrads and a law student. To meet us, enjoy a video that the birthday boy did.

1 comment:

  1. Those cupcakes are no joke. I think they might have a stand in grand central as well, so any future Manhattan visits can end with the devouring of a Magnolia cupcake on the way back to New Haven.

    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Red velvet.

    ReplyDelete