Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Oh give me a home


It's fun to look at New York City apartments, even virtually. The more I peruse, the more my imagination runs wild. And the less certain I am of what I want.

Manhattan or Brooklyn? Studio or one-bedroom? Alone or with a roommate? Historic or modern? Near hipsters, bankers or families? Austere or Lavish?

And baked in those choices are fundamental questions of priority. Do I really care about a view? About sunlight? About floors, dishwashers, doormen, gyms, parking, high ceilings, etc? And regarding neighborhood, how much do I care about being near things to do, and what kinds of things am I really talking about?

Fortunately, being in a position to ask these questions is an awfully fortunate "problem" to have. And I'm looking to rent, so my decision isn't permanent. No reason to put too much pressure on this decision. At the same time, I would love to know that in the next couple years I'll be moving into somewhere I might actually stay for, oh, 10 years. Wouldn't that be something for a rootless wanderer like me. I could invest in personalized envelopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment