Monday, April 4, 2011

Darlin', I love you, but give me Park Avenue


It was an interesting weekend. On Saturday night, I saw Nameless Forest, a "play" better described as a "dance piece" incorporating sculpture, audience participation and, my personal favorite, lots of male nudity. Beyond that it's hard to describe ... just part of the Yale artistic community's culture, in which one feels unintellectual and uncultured for questioning or objecting to, well, anything. I'll miss it. 

And on Sunday, I went to Rhode Island to visit an old friend from college and hang out with her family, which now includes three daughters. We went to Wrights Dairy Farm and saw cows and roosters. It was a nice little area that naturally smelled farmy. It was a far contrast to what I'll be experiencing in a few months as I move to New York!

I've been in touch now with two brokers, both through suggestions from classmates who have lived in the city. It's very exciting to see what my money can buy me, although everything is about trade-offs that I'm not totally certain how to make. What is more important to me, floor space, or in-building amenities? Proximity to subways or new renovations? How flexible am I on price? I fear going overboard with what I can "afford" and then struggling with the cash I have left over after taxes, rent and loans. By my calculations, my goal rent should be about $2,000, but when a broker sends something that looks absolutely amazing for $2,500, it's easy to start justifying the expense (even though in my previous life I would/could never have nonchalantly bumped my rent up by $500 a month).

City life is going to be a real delight, I think. I'm on the edge of my seat. 

1 comment:

  1. cedamott,
    Thank you for your loyalty, and for being a totally legitimate real person who clearly isn't spam.

    ReplyDelete