Monday, January 10, 2011

Go to the light


There was a great article in the Sunday New York Times Magazine about issues that arise in managing one's digital life after death. If I die tomorrow, what would happen to this blog, my Facebook page, my Flickr photos, my years of e-mail and whatever other personal bits and pieces of my life are out there, password protected? The answer is unclear, but coming up with an answer and managing the process is a business opportunity that's becoming increasingly popular to seize. I imagine this will become a particular issue as more older people get online, and as we younger people get older.

I set up a blog for my father during winter break, and he's updating it rather nicely. I'm not going to link to it here because he's trying to maintain some anonymity -- just because he doesn't want to be bothered. It's mostly going to consist of political writings and opinion pieces. I thought it would be fun for him and give him a constructive retirement activity.

This was a nice weekend overall, although I caught a cold. I still managed to check out the Yale Cabaret, run some errands, talk to friends on the phone and enjoy an evening with a gentleman caller. All things I like to do, and all things that will become harder to do when the semester starts in just eight hours.

With that, time to sleep. I have to be all rested for Investment Management tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad your dad is updating the blog!!! I hope you had a great first day.

    ReplyDelete