Sunday, February 20, 2011

Three of a kind


As a homosexual, I want people to respect my personal life, so I try not to judge. But I nevertheless was struck with rather WTF feelings last night at the symphony, seated behind three people whose dynamic my friends and I could not explain.

As violinist Wendy Sharp (Yale '82) and the Yale Symphony Orchestra began delighting us with Beethoven's Violin Concerto ion D Major, Op. 61, this dude in front of us reached his arms around both his female companions and spent the duration of the piece stroking their arms as they rested their weary heads on his shoulders. The women at times whispered into his ear, close enough that they were nearly nibbling his flesh. What the hell was going on?

I left at intermission, not because of this trio, but because I had developed a stomach ache. I'm not sure whether to blame the afternoon's all-you-can-eat lunch at Sushi Palace, or the heavy-as-a-brick prosciutto manicotti I had just eaten at Mory's. Either way, I left in a hasty fashion, unfortunately missing Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 in e minor, Op. 64. I'll just, you know, listen to my copy later today.

When I returned home, I was delighted to have received a copy of my late grandfather's book, which is about reincarnation. I ordered it on Amazon's UK site, since it seemed like the only copies available where in England. Not sure why or how that happened. The one I received seems to have at one time found a home in a library. This man, my father's father, wrote this book while in his 70s, and it was published in 1983, a few years before he died. It's subtitled "The Rationality of Reincarnation." I remember seeing several copies of it in the house I grew up in, but over the years we've lost track of them, and I never really owned one. Not sure what even made me think of it, but I thought it was something I should read. I'll tackle it in a few days, once my three-week Spring Break begins! I have a long list of books to read during that time.

I wonder what my grandfather would have to say about threesomes. Maybe the topic will come up in his book.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I think the threesome couple, er, trio, is fascinating. I've never actually met someone involved in such a scenario (and heaven knows, I've met some characters in my day). I wonder how this works? We'll have to discuss this at a later date. I hope your grandfather can explain it to us all so we may all be enlightened.

    ReplyDelete